Featured post

Wednesday 23 March 2016

Brussels Airport attack & A walk on Scafell Pike for me

Most papers carry photos of the Brussels airport bombing - - - I suppose its only a matter of time before the UK gets something like this 
=========================================
=================================
===============================
With my chainsaw in the repair shop i decided on a whim to pop up to the Lake District and have a walk up and around Scafell Pike 
As i left the M6 at J36 a sign said the A591 was closed North of Grasmere and having seen where the road fell into the river in the earlier storms i was surprised it had not been repaired sooner. 
Quickly revising my route i went up the Kirkstone pass and through Glenridding where i stopped to take some photo's. 
 when the water was at its height JCB's were on the right bank here scooping out the gravel washed down from the mountains, trees lining the river bank had been hurriedly felled to allow the JCB's access .  The idea was to stop the bridge being washed away which they did 
 the bags of gravel in the foreground are stopping the foundations of the building which is the Glenridding hotel from being undermined.  The bit between the 2 buildings in the photo used to be a decking area beer terrace, all washed away 
the front of the hotel is boarded up and attempting to put a brave face on the situation.  Sally told me later in the day that our favourite hotel The Lakeside Inn at windermere is still closed and not expected to open until Summertime 
==============================================
 i slept in Cyril the van and this shot is early next morning, i could see through the binos that the snow didn't look fresh so off i set 
 my fitness so early in the year is suspect and it takes me longer than usual to reach the stretcher box.  The route looks fairly clear of snow until the final bit before the summit so i carry on with the idea that if its deep on the summit i would return the same way.  There is no wind and it is so quiet and peaceful with no-one else around 
 very near the top now and the snow has been very patchy 
 i remember reading lately that there have been a number of complaints about orange peel and banana skins on the summit.  I only spotted a little of each, the Temp is 2.5c on the top 
 I had toyed with coming at the summit from the Ill Crag end and was glad i didn't as the route had lots more snow and i had to take it very slowly going down 
 this is the last bit of snow just before Eske Hause, i managed to "ski" down it.  I see my first other person here since setting off 
 forsaking the steep long route down Grains Gill  my knees are sore by now!  i pass sprinkling tarn and walk on back to the Stretcher box and down Styhead Gill 
 I notice a bloke walking toward me, there are quite a few people around now because its nearly noon.  This old guy passes me and he's wearing Wellies! and carrying a plastic shopping bag.  He's moving pretty slowly but gives me a cheery, "hello" as he passes.  I have a twinge of Abductor muscle cramp and my previous notion that one of those sugary energy drinks resolves it is trashed. I had drunk a can about 15 minutes previous.  It wears off quite quickly though 
 The route i used to go up is up the rocky part of this photo.  It looks far riskier than it is but you need a head for heights 
 I finally make Stockley Bridge and walk the last mile back down to Cyril where i have a welcome cup of tea! 
These must be the first lambs from Seathwaite Farm as they are in a field of their own.  I do a recce of a route i'm going to try next time I'm up its straight up the side of the valley onto Glara Mara.  I'll be doing some intensive training before i tackle it!!
I go into Keswick for a meal before returning to Seathwaite, at 6:00 p.m. the bloke i had seen at noon in the wellies and carrying the shopping bag walks past me and gets into a car before driving off!! 
=================================================
===========================
=================
TODAYS WEATHER 
 As expected the weather is gearing up for a damp Easter Weekend although looking at Metcheck they are forecasting some sun on Friday! A cool temp just now on the stats and with a max of 8c today i don't think we will be seeing any sun 
A grey old view on the weathercam at the moment and its looking form the forecast that it will remain so for the day 
==========================================
Enjoy the day
Follow this link to see Our weather website
Or this one just to see the Live Birdfeeder and Weather Webcams

No comments:

Post a Comment