Featured post

Tuesday 3 November 2015

Lakes trip 2nd day Helvellyn walk

The idea today is for me to walk over Helvellyn from Glenridding (the Patterdale side) and then on down to the Thirlmere Lake side 
 We knew it would be misty first thing and as we ate breakfast the mist was lifting off the lake 
 Sally runs me over to Glenridding where the mist/fog is still in evidence 
 i soon climb above the fog and make my way up the mountain 
 once out into the sunshine it gets quite hot and the fog clears down in Glenridding 
 I've never been near the lake below the summit and notice there are fish in it as i get close up 
 I'm not going over striding edge but plenty people are 
 I'm going to try Swirral Edge up to the summit 
 Its a delightful little scramble much more enjoyable than going down it just a few weeks ago 
 The views on the summit are fantastic but its fair to say the fog is still well and truly in the valleys to the south and west 


 I stopped a few minutes and could pick out Great Gable and the Scafell Pike area from this pic 
 still some great views as i descend to the Thirlmere side of the mountain 
 no far before i hit the fog 
 one last look back up the mountain 
as i turn around from the last pic to get a view over the fog it comes rushing up the mountain and envelopes me 
The temperature drops as i reach Sally and Boris in the car park and we make our escape back to the hotel.  The fog is still quite thick back there and we decide to call it a day 
=============

No comments:

Post a Comment