Featured post

Tuesday 17 March 2015

serious drought in Brazil & A surprise on my Kinder walk

Another piece of advice from the Express this morning to "slash the risk of cancer"  - - - another slow news day? - - -









The worst drought that Brazil has had in history is draining reservoirs and revealing long lost villages "experts" are blaming the growth of cities and the chopping down of the Amazon rain forest




Confirmed information about casualties still evades the authorities in the Vanuatu area of the Pacific.  The map shows the path and strength of Cyclone Pam which hit on the 14th March.  The President has linked the disaster to climate change "citing changing weather patters rising seas and heavier-than-average rainfall in Vanuatu" - - -



I decided pretty early on yesterday to go and walk a route around Kinder Scout its always been a favourite of mine and i hadn't been up there for a while
Stuffing the usual gear into my rucksack I was striding up the road from the Snake Inn by 08:15.  As i left the forest and went out into the open country the Met O man's prediction of clear except on the tops looked good.  The beginning is a steady walk up the valley towards where the Pennine Way crosses the top of it
 A short way up I can see up to the ridge where the real walk begins and some of it is in mist as expected, there's the odd bit of rain falling but nothing serious
 90 minutes into the walk and I make the Pennine Way marker and there's a small group of people making their way up onto the ridge line feature.  I decide that once I get onto the ridge I will put on my waterproof and headover because I will be walking directly into the biting East wind
 As I'm setting off after putting on my jacket the first flakes of snow start falling
 the ground is soon covered and visibility reduces
I resemble Nanook of the North as I make my way along the ridge
 Finally I arrive at the familiar "Anvil" rock feature and peer down the steep track off the ridge.  I spot a mountain hare in its almost white livery and take pics but the mist all but hides it as it sits watching me
 Off the ridge i decide not to swing right and walk down the rocky footpath - - - mistake as i make my way through the bog!
 I had spotted the track as I drove in on the road below. It's at least 10 years since I descended this way - - - it might be a few more years before I use it again as my almost soaked through boots confirm - - - I had forgotten about the bog! - - -
Down finally and the scene looks as benign as when I started.  Although there's no snow visible my van has some on the windscreen so it must have reached this level and mostly melted.  3 hours 20 minutes not a bad time considering the blizzard! - - -

 cool stats once again but no overnight rain 
 very cloudy on the weathercam, it looks like a book day to me! 
Enjoy the day
Follow this link to see  our weather website
Or this one just to see  Live webcam - - Birdfeeders

1 comment:

  1. really interesting blog on yesterdays Kinder walk.

    ReplyDelete