Featured post

Wednesday 2 April 2014

Smog alert! & interesting find in Kitchen garden

The BBC are not the only ones covering this smog alert
The tabloids use the word smog while the BBC adopts a more "realistic" approach.  The story mentions "dust blown from the Sahara" which we had noticed on my van after some light rain.  - - -
Its looking increasingly likely though that if we have a hot summer, fingers crossed! we might see more "air pollution" problems



Now we nee to eat 7 bits of fruit a day!
according to "the health police!" mind you the story even includes a line or 2 from "the government" who say the "5 a day advice is sufficient"  - - - - no doubt someday all fruit will be found to be poisonous! lol - - -



Closer to home
Give a cat a box and the result will be inevitable
I had unpacked a fan from the box and put it on the floor half expecting Sainsbury to get inside it! - - -

I did an hour or 2 in the Kitchen Garden yesterday just generally cleaning up bits of old concrete left lying around.  I kept passing this depressed area which leads up to what used to be a pig sty and wondered if it could be a pathway.  Years ago we had found an old stone slab pathway leading into the garden area from our garden.  The owners, who lived next door to us at the time gave us permission to remove it and we used it in our own garden.
I stopped on one of my trips back and forth with the wheelbarrow and grabbed my spade and started to dig.
  just a couple of inches under the compacted topsoil i uncovered the pathway, the base of the pig sty is at the top of the garden. I expect the slabs will run to the old pig sty base and all the way to the fence in the pic below
I levered up one of the stone slabs and as you can see they are 3-4 inches thick, neither of the Peak Organic ladies was present so I wonder what they will do with the slabs?  This site will be covered by a poly tunnel soon.
I spotted this depression running up to the right hand side of the pig sty base but searching for slabs revealed nothing.  Maybe they had been removed some time ago
The bed of winter lettuce and garlic planted by Vanessa last year is doing very well.

Tomorrow I'm back on my 6 shift pattern at the Fun Factory (Matlock Sainsbugs) so I think today might be a take it easy day!
I have been managing to write a little of my book for the last few days and will try to keep up the progress on that as well.
Enjoy the day
Follow this link to see  our weather website
Or this one just to see  the streaming birdfeeder cam




No comments:

Post a Comment