Featured post

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Day off today (Wednesday)

I'm trying to take a bit of time off today as I start my weeks worth of shifts tomorrow but I think it might only be a couple of hours in the garden reading.

I finished the cover (porch) for the steps down to the back door yesterday.  Its not the most attractive covering but at least its practical and hopefully will keep the snow and rain off the steps this winter.  I wanted to keep as much light going down the steps as I could so I covered the top in Polycarbon sheeting and my next door neighbour John, let me have some perspex to cover the side.  Due to the shape of the ground around the top of the steps its on 2 levels so looks a little odd but hey ho. picture later when it gets light.

I was working away yesterday and a man hurried along the back of the terrace asking if we had a phone as a lady had fallen down.  I grabbed my mobile and followed him to the end of the terrace where I could see an old lady on the path that leads down to the A6.  After dialling 999 we tried to make her comfortable but it looked as if she had broken her wrist/arm and had a couple of gashes on her face.  Once the ambulance arrived the 2 medics took over and she was put in the ambulance which took her off to hospital.

At one point during the drama a friend of hers turned up who happens to be a local councillor.  Our neighbour Alan, ever the practical soul, took the opportunity to complain not only about the state of the path but the fact that Peak Rail have erected a second set of gates on the approach to the facility which is a concessionary footpath.  

So "to horse" and face the "challenges and opportunities" of the day

update 14:30 I had to laugh as Sally went off to work this morning.  She looked disapprovingly at the new porch as I had not painted/stained it.  I must admit to not even considering it.  Anyway I splashed on a bit of stain this morning and will have to disassemble it a little next week to finish it off.  It does look better stained !  pic below 



No comments:

Post a Comment