Featured post

Wednesday 8 August 2012

Just a bit of this and that

Readers might recall the story of my attempt at the Welsh 15 Peaks earlier in the year, blog dated 18th June.   The 2nd day was terrible weather and we decided to abandon it.  Ginny the driving force behind the team organised a rerun of the second day in Sept and all looked ok until an email last night.  Due to other commitments it now looks like it might be just Adam the guide, Ginny and me.  Shame really as I felt everyone would have enjoyed the 1 day jaunt.
I have been working quite hard in this dry spell trying to get the wood shed filled up for winter and its nearly complete. 
 The ground is still quite wet up on the logging area but at least all my stashes are by a reasonably firm track.  The pic shows the wood shed almost done and dusted.  I ended up having to cut some logs into "cheeses" because as they have dried its become impossible to split them with the maul.  Just by way of an explanation the foliage sticking out of the green dustbin in the pic are the off cuts from the pond plants.  I had savagely reduced the size of the ones in the pond at the beginning of the year to an extent where I thought they might not survive.  Dropping them into what is the rainwater drain off from the wood shed roof was just a bit of insurance.
I'm still managing to collect pics for the time lapse video project although I will have to take them a little later in the day because of the light being poor in the morning at 0600 now.  Heres the latest pic and this morning it was quite cool with some Autumnal mist around as the sheep were munching away at whats left of the grass in the field over the river

The river is very low just now so i guess you could call it the normal level it will be interesting to see it rise and fall in the finished video.
Back to work tomorrow and while shopping the other day I was told the shop will now be opening on a Sunday at 09:30.  I find this strange because it "normally" opens at 10:00 on Sunday but "because of Sunday trading laws we are unable to serve you until 10:30".  This message booms out over the public address system and cascades down to even not being able to cut an un-sliced loaf until 10:30.  Another twist to this tale is that there will be an open ended closing time, in as much as if its busy the shop will stay open?  It will be interesting to get the full story!
And finally! a blast from the past, here's a couple of pics from the 20/04/1974! My then wife and I were at our friends wedding.  Dont you just love the suits and shirt collars!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment