Featured post

Tuesday 23 August 2011

2011-08-19 Snowden Horseshoe

I completed the Snowden Horseshoe on the 19th and what a cracking walk.  I managed to start at 0500 so didnt see a soul until I was the quarters round it.  The start is up the Pyg track as if you are going all the way to the summit.  You then swing off the main track and go up onto Crib Goch which has the grade 1 scramble shown in the following pic.
The sun had just come up and I got some good pics of the edge and the route in front right up to Snowden summit.
The second half of the walk was spoiled a little by my own stupidy.  In the thick mist that had enveloped Snowden Summit I came off the summit in the right direction but made a directional error going down the scree that is the top of the Watkin Path.  This error wasted at least 20 minutes and meant I climbed more than was necessary to regain the correct route.  I intend to go back in a few weeks and try it again.

All in all though a fantastic walk with really good weather on the first half.  I am having a go at the Welsh 15 next year with some of the group that completed the 3 Peaks this June.  This walk is the 3rd of the 3 day challenge!!

The link below will take anyone to the picassa web album of the trip.
https://picasaweb.google.com/hakuraman/20110819SnowdenHorseshoe?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCM-ulJrf34uMwAE&feat=directlink

No comments:

Post a Comment