Featured post

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Rain at last but all is not well in our pond!

The heatwave is well and truly over for the time being with a thunderstorm starting around 05:15 this morning.

We were concerned about a Golden Orfe we have in the pond as it had been floating on its side in amongst the lilly pads for a few days.  Its done this before in previous years so we didn't think much about it.  Yesterday I couldn't see it at all and eventually found it tucked behind one of the pond plants.  It was still moving but a couple of hours later it was dead so we pulled it out
 Its almost a foot long and we got it from a friend whose pond population was growing too large.  Ah well there we go.
During a lull in the rain earlier I went out to feed the fish and found that the plant the Orfe had been hiding behind had fallen into the pond.  I must have moved the container when I was pulling out the dead Orfe and it fell off the ledge in the thunderstorm. I'll have to cut most of it down to allow the container to stand up again
This is what it should look like!

I had one final stint up at our logging site yesterday as the predicted rain means I wont be able to get at it until the ground dry's out again.
I will work my way down this group of trees for the rest of the season and will need to get more waterproofing onto the pile of wood in the foreground.

Enjoy the day  
Follow this link to see  our weather website
Or this one just to see  the streaming birdfeeder cam


No comments:

Post a Comment