Featured post

Tuesday 2 October 2012

Computers! and other distractions

You know how it is, a couple of spare hours and you think I'll sort out where all my pics are on my PC.  All of ours are on an external disc drive along with anything else thats important, - - - or so I thought!! 

Just moving some pics around when the pc froze did the standard "switch it off and back on" - - - nothing!  I had 2 operating systems Vista and XP so no problem boot into the other OS and see whats wrong.  I managed to get into the other system but couldnt access the other drive.  After a lot of trying I gave up and wiped the drive down to just the Vista system. 

Having not lost any pics music or docs I thought setting it up again  would be easy, the computer gremlins had different ideas!  I use MS Office 2003 and my CD would not let me load Outlook (for e mail).  After some Googling I managed to find the problem, deep in the registry there was a figure that said 2 when it needed to say 1.  How do people find out these things? but thank goodness they do. 

My Iphone had all my contacts on so no problem, but of course you have to jump through  lot of hoops to make it sync back to the PC, do it wrong and the PC wipes it clean!!!! Once again thanks to the people that take time to document these things online. 

So after 2 days of downloading uploading transferring and in some caseshandballing the data back in I'm finally back up and running having only lost my last 12 months e mail records. 

Lessons learned.  I now know that Windows comes with an adequate back up programme if you care to just switch it on, which I have just done,  Find it in, Start/All Programmes/Maintenance/ Back up and Restore Centre.  Mmmmmmm! 

As I was working away this morning little sainsbury the tabby came to help and put some time in on the scanner for me!


I noticed on Saturday during a break from the computer rescue work that the leaves are on thier way to autumn colours so made a point today of getting my across the river shot here it is. 
You cansee the leaves on the branch in the middle of the shot are turning brown. 

I'm out to lunch tomorrow so will get some Chatsworth autumn colour pics! 


No comments:

Post a Comment